Crossing the Tees Book Festival returns for its tenth year in June 2023, thanks to a collaboration between the library services across the Tees Valley; Stockton, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Hartlepool and Redcar & Cleveland, supported by funding from Arts Council England. The festival is hosted in libraries across the region and includes author events, writing and poetry workshops, and our annual short story competition.
The festival will be promoted from the end of April with a festival brochure, produced by ARC, Stockton Arts Centre, social media and traditional press communications.
We are looking to commission a Photographer-in-Residence to work with a Writer-in-Residence to produce a non-fiction book to celebrate the social history of libraries and reading. We are looking for an experienced photographer who can take photographs of library users during events where the writer-in-residence is capturing memories and experiences of libraries and reading. This role will also involve taking photographs of book festival events during 10 to 17 June 2023.
The photographer-in-residence will be asked to:
· Attend up to ten libraries across all five authorities between January and April for a full or half day to photograph library users of all ages and backgrounds. These days would be facilitated by the library service with reminiscence items and photographs to stimulate discussion. This will include the Crossing the Tees Short Story Award Ceremony on 25 April 2023.
· Take engaging photographs for inclusion in the book.
· Collaborate with the writer-in-residence and Sixth Element Publishers to compile and publish the finished book that will be launched during the festival in June.
· Present an accompanying talk at the festival finale event on 16 June 2023 showcasing your photographs and process.
· Take photographs at events during the festival week of 10 to 17 June 2023.
· We would require some images prior to the publication of the book for publicity purposes.
· We anticipate this will be approximately 20 days work.
We will provide:
· Opportunities to meet and photograph library users in all five authorities
· Support of library staff
· Access to library resources such as local history photographs, maps etc.
· Presentation facilities for the accompanying talk
· Please note that all rights to the photographs and materials produced and the finished book will belong to Crossing the Tees Book Festival.
You will need to provide:
· Timesheet of hours worked
The fee for this project will be £2000 including travel expenses. This will cover approximately 20 days of work between January to June 2023.
The fee will be paid in two instalments by Stockton Borough Council within 30 days of a dated invoice. £1000 will be paid at the start of the project and £1000 will be paid in June.
Your proposal should include details of:
· Your photography experience (include links to your digital portfolio)
· your experience working with members of the public/community groups.
· Your expectations of what you hope to gain from this project.
· Two work related referees.
Submission of the proposal should be sent to email@example.com by 21 December 2022. Shortlisting will take place on 22 December 2022 and interviews will take place on 5 January 2023.